Carmine red is a colorant used widely in the food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries, and it has been reported previously as a cause of allergic reaction to sensitive patients ranging from mild skin erythema to angioedema and anaphylaxis. We present a case of a life-threatening allergic reaction to carmine dye present in an ice-popsicle, which was given to a patient in the hospital setting. The patient developed an acute allergic reaction consisting of angioedema that led to a full cardiorespiratory arrest. Proper labeling of products containing carmine dye are necessary in order to prevent life-threatening or lethal allergic reactions. These products must not be included in the food provided in healthcare institutions.